Skip to main content

Focus on the Moments, Not the Shiny Things

I don't have an Olympic Sport/Athlete for Day Four. I watched a lot of the coverage, but nothing stood out for me as a moment I just had to share.

Except the coverage itself. CTV's growing pains covering the Olympics is really driving me to distraction.

On-air hosts are given the wrong information by their behind the scenes crew, and are then left looking vacantly at the camera while the footage they were told is cued up, or the guest they were advised is in studio, is MIA ... or a completely different sport than they've been told they are introducing. So far the hosts have kept their humour ("Boy, hockey has sure changed since I was a kid", after speed skating is broadcast upon being set up as hockey), but I for one am tired of having to watch them continually tap dance in order to cover that who ever is speaking in their ear pathologically leads them down Red Herring Lane. I have taken to recording blocks of the programming while I watch other shows, then come back every few hours to fast forward to anything that looks interesting. That way I limit my pain.

But what really makes me want to walk to Vancouver and slap a few people is how, when we actually get to see what we were waiting for, the director doesn't know to show the important moments. At the precise moment when the in-stadium cauldron was lit by Gretzky, LeMay Doan, Nash, Greene and Hansen on the first night, the coverage showed shots of the crowd! By time the director remembered that something was happening on the field, the cauldron was already half lit. When Boudreau's name was called last night and he stepped onto the podium to ear shattering cheers, we were forced to look at a shot of Jean Charest. By time the director figured out what the applause was for, Boudreau was already on the podium, hands raised.

Moments matter. In fact, sometimes moments are all it takes or all you get. CTV needs to quit getting distracted by the shiny things fluttering in their periphery and remember that they are supposed to be taking the job of bringing the Games to us seriously. Quit getting your rocks off on the ubiquitous buxom blonde in the arena while the hockey game is on -- we want to see the game!

I'm pretty sure Brian Williams' goof identifying CBC as the station we are watching was wishful thinking. It certainly was for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he