Skip to main content

A Squirrel Perspective

I was walking home yesterday fully engrossed in talking to myself and imagining the worst for my performance review on Wednesday (a long story that I won’t give credence to by spelling out here: suffice it to say my boss is putting the responsibility of the backlog that has been caused by our three-person office being reduced to a two-person office for almost a year now solely at my feet for no reason other than what I have to assume is personal) when I heard quite the scuffle coming from the trees across the street. As I paused to watch, two squirrels played Tag in the trees.

Except I got the distinct impression that “It” wasn’t so much wanting to tag the runner as tear his fuzzy wittle head clear off his boney itsy shoulders.

Up and down, around the trunk, from branch to branch and back again, the head squirrel kept the slightest of leads on what appeared to me to be a squirrelly serial killer. Front guy would sprint left on the top of the branch with his pursuer’s claws inches from his hind quarters, then zip a 180 to beat it back from whence he came. On rare occasions, they remained silently poised on opposite sides of the trunk, awaiting the slightest scratch from the other side of the tree that would give away the other one's position. Finally, the lead squirrel dodged and deked and skirted to the branches of another tree to safety, leaving his pursuer to chirp angrily that he’d better not return to the tree if he values his nuts.

Nuts probably started it all. One probably snatched the other’s, and the race was on. But what could have possessed the one squirrel to do whatever he did to enrage the other isn't really the point. Here I was entirely amused and entertained by what I would imagine was of the utmost and dire consequence to these two squirrels locked in mortal combat -- well, mortal chasing, at the very least. But – not to put too fine a point on it – someone else could be just as amused and entertained by the fact that I'm concerned about a performance appraisal. Like unemployed people. Or people who work in coal mines who wished the greatest danger they faced was an old-fashioned verbal confrontation scheduled from 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. in the middle of a week. Or two squirrels in the bowels of a nut dispute.

Ah, nature. Always lying in wait to knock you down a few pegs whenever you think the world revolves around you and your problems.

(remind me sometime to share with you my Turtle Perspective)

Comments

oliver rain said…
I miss squirrels. For some strange reason we don't have any in Medicine Hat, which begs the question...what have they done with all the squirrels, nasty MH squirrel haters....

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he