Skip to main content

If you're going to dislike a haircut, dislike a $16 cut.

(Hey, did you know you can just put your digital camera's image card directly into your laptop - screw the photo cable? I didn't until my sis-in-law enlightened me. What a world we live in.)

Years ago I decided the hell with hair salons. You pay all that money to have someone who is supposedly trained and experienced to do your hair, they ask what you want ... and then they just give you whatever cut they want to anyway. They use your hair without your permission or request to experiment with whatever new style or cut or form they are itching to try out -- and then they ask you to pay them $50 to $60 bucks for using you as a training head.

So since then, I've just gone to SuperCuts. Or CornerCuts. Or whatever they call that place where you just walk in, don't pay for a shampoo or style if you don't want to, then 30 minutes and $16 later you have a bare minimum cut that they didn't waste a minute on fluffing or contouring or waxing or hairspraying or otherwise hacking at your hair unnecessarily just to get their own hairstyling rocks off. My theory had been: If you're going to dislike a haircut, dislike a $16 cut.

Odd thing was, I had yet to walk out of DiscountCuts dissatisfied. For the past few years, I've walked out quite pleased. No products, no runway experiment dos. Just a quick, clean, cut. Quite pleased.

I went against my better judgment a few weeks ago, though, and went to a pricey salon. I was going from quite long hair to shorter hair, and I thought maybe someone with more skill and experience was prudent. Just to be sure I got what I wanted, though, I brought a picture:




I know. It's a picture of a picture. And a picture of a hair product ad, nonetheless. But I think you get the gist of the cut I was looking for.


This, however, was what the "stylist" gave me.



It was a spitting image of the stylist's hairstyle, surprise surprise. I guess regardless of what I wanted, she wanted a twin. (The first picture I took showed what I really felt a bit too well. No one looks presentable with a glower. So I forced the corners of my mouth into a makeshift smile.)

I was able to restyle it somewhat to something a bit more in the neighbourhood of my desires:


(a little easier to smile)

But if I'm ever tempted to go to a salon again, I hope I know enough to revisit this post and remember that salon stylists are just whores who empty your wallet and walk out of the hotel room without so much as a look in your direction.

Go to the corner whore. She ain't pretty, but she'll do what you ask.

Comments

oliver rain said…
I kind of liked the first style. However, I can now see that you've totally "made it your own". Lovely as always, dear Ducky.
Tara said…
I like what you did better! Maybe she only knows one haircut???
Nice blog!
:0)
Tara

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he