Skip to main content

The Magic Number is 21...

Twenty-one days later -- my bathroom is done.

I had forgotten that bathrooms come with sinks. I actually walked past it this afternoon to wash my hands in the bathtub like I had been doing for the last week (after living two weeks without a bathtub -- no, I haven't forgotten that!).

I didn't even share with you what had happened yesterday, because I was a bit too ticked and tired.

I asked the manager (or, who I had always thought was the manager -- but wait for it) on Monday when the plumber was planning to come back. Nothing. Called her again yesterday -- she told me to speak to the manager because she had been speaking to her everyday and the manager obviously needs a different push. Uh, I thought she was the manager. No. Turns out she's just some onsite ... I don't even know what.

Fine. So I called the woman who is actually the manager. I honestly and truly really hadn't intended to be confrontational or angry, but then the woman said "Okay, do me a favour and a write a note to --"

Well I just lost it. I cut her off and said "No! No, I'm not going to do anyone a favour here when no one is doing any work here. And if I write a note, it is going to be the landlord and tenant board of Ontario" (I don't even know if there is such a thing!) I said I was calling her to find out what is the problem with getting my bathroom finally finished and what is she going to do to ensure it happens, because I reached my limit of patience last week after two and a half weeks of being at the bottom of the to-do list. I said people are quick to remove fixtures from my apartment, then content to leave me with nothing in their place.

And then she passed the buck.

This whole time, the maintenance man says it's the plumber's fault. The plumber says it's the onsite whatever she does' fault. The onsite whatever she does says it's the manager's, and now the manager is saying it is the owner of the building that is holding up the work.

I told the manager I don't care anymore who has to do what -- it's been three weeks and I now expect it to be over. That I wasn't going to talk to anyone else about it ever again and if something still needs to be said in 24 hours, it will being said to the landlord and tenant board. (again, as far as I know, an empty threat.)

But voila: Sink.

Now, I was disappointed when I saw the sink they brought in to put in. It wasn't as nice or large as the perfectly fine one they took out for no damn reason:


But I saw the light of resolution. I let them put the smaller sink in, and locked the door after them as they left.

Nobody knock on my door for at least a month. I am not answering it.

On a plus: I discovered a little doughnut shop at the end of the block that sells iced cappaccinos. Not as good as Tim Hortons' ... but then the nearest Tim Hortons is a 20 minute walk. So, I intend to chalk this little corner doughnut shop up as a welcome discovery.

There's also a pizza place that sells pizza by the slice next to the doughnut shop.

And finally, I kind of accidentally stumbled upon how to tune in five more channels on my television (now I have eight -- nine depending on the time of day). AND -- most importantly -- I've rigged it so that I can even tape shows. I've spent the past few months having to choose what show I wanted to watch most if two or more were on at the same time ... and it was killing me.

So, final judgement: A good day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he