Skip to main content

Happy Monday Morning!

Let’s start today with some inspiration.

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/shows/showdetails.aspx?sid=10899

I love this commercial (this one site is kinda annoying with all the interrupting to stream and all that, but I can’t find it any other place). I get that it’s only a commercial. It’s just that it really speaks to me. The beauty of this world, and what makes it go round in the metaphorical sense, is that everyone loves something different. If we all wanted to study hot magma, who would be picking the nose of Egyptian kings? If we each love our thing, and put our effort into exploring and understanding and celebrating that thing, then that will make this big ol’ ball of water and dirt a wonderful thing.

On that note, welcome to Monday and the start of my week of movies. I got me one of these:

An Edmonton International Film Festival all-access pass. I’m seeing a movie every night ... and even two on some nights. A few weeks back I went through the festival program and booked all the movies I wanted to see into my daytimer. Now I’m just showing up where and when my calendar says, without reading the description of the movies again to remind myself what it is. So each night it will be an adventure. What is this movie about? Why did I want to see it? Let’s dig into the popcorn and discover it together, shall we? (Be sure to check out my reviews of the movies. You may not see all these movies in your friendly neighbourhood Cineplex, but give it a few months and you may be able to at least see a few from your corner video rental establishment)

(and Hi Misty, my Zoo-buddy!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he...