Skip to main content

Vive La Revolution!

Just a friendly reminder: Thanos is a fictional character. Racism can't be eradicated with the snap of a finger. It's going to take effort to change how things were up to now. And time to put in that effort. And steps to get there.

If someone who hasn't been an ally before tries to be an ally now, negating their effort because they weren't always an ally isn't productive. They were wrong in the past. They can't go back and be right. They're trying to be right now. Let them try. You might get an ally where once you had an opponent. Block them from trying, though, and you'll most likely get your opponent back.

If what someone does right today doesn't erase all the wrong someone else did yesterday... well, that's the way this all works. Change happens over the course of a period of time. What matters is someone did something today towards making a change. With momentum, more people can be doing right than are doing wrong. But momentum takes time. And people.

Which brings us to: if someone takes a step in the right direction, don't disparage it because it's only one step. Of course it's one step. No one is saying it's anything more. But getting anywhere always and forever starts with one step. If someone stops after the first step and never takes another, then you have a legit complaint about someone half-assing it. But chastising someone who is trying to walk the right path because they aren't running full stride from a dead stop is counter-productive. Hound someone for why they don't have a longer stride and they'll stop trying to walk where you want them to go.

Whatever challenge faces people, there is always a vocal contingent who demand change but then hypocritically seek to destroy any progress being made. These people attack anyone who takes action because it isn't far enough, or good enough, or fast enough out of the gate. They are in fact advocating that no action be taken, because no action can meet their criteria of instantaneously fixing the problem. By seeking to tear down anyone who is trying to better the situation, this contingent in fact blocks any real change from happening. Real change takes effort. And happens slowly. And in all cases must start with that critical first step in the right direction. All things that this contingent is vehemently opposed to.

Make efforts to change. Support other's efforts to change. Call out hypocrites who seek to block change while pretending to champion it.

p.s. There is a lot wrong with this world. A lot. But like a To Do list, we have to focus on one item at a time. If we need to wash the dishes, and gas up the car, and go grocery shopping, we can't just stand there staring at the list. We have to pick an item, and do it. Then we can move onto the next. And if while making a dent in the dishes and the car and the groceries we remember we also need a haircut, that shouldn't stop us from getting to the dishes, car, or groceries. Again, add it to the list, and it will have its time to be a priority.

Bringing up all issues that need to be dealt with on this great blue-green globe of ours really just serves to dilute the discussion of what is before us and what are we going to do about it.

Right now, police brutality is at the top of the list. No one is saying it's the only thing on the list. But right now, it seems pretty damn important to do what we can to save the lives of people. When we start making some progress there, then we can get to what else we've screwed up that we need to fix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he