Skip to main content

Mirrors, All


I originally drafted a post in May as response to the Washington Capitals move to terminate Brendan Leipsic’s contract after he disparaged women and teammates on social media. Then the world hit the fan over racism. I realized much of what I had intended to say about misogyny is very similar to what I would say about racism. So, I guess it’s just as well I have been very bad about following through on intentions these past few months. It is more economical to speak on two atrocities at once.

Like Leipsic’s misogyny, I'm very saddened by what I am now seeing is widespread racism. I can speak on misogyny more honestly than racism, because only the former has been directed at me. But I truly thought we were teaching our young men better about women and that we as a people were better about race. I was wrong.

The advent of social media hasn’t brought about misogyny or racism. It just began recording it for widespread distribution and posterity. Shining a light on these injustices could have been a good first step in eradicating them. Instead, we as a society have taught these people that it doesn’t matter. They can get away with whatever horse-crap they spew, as long as they use the right buzzwords in a phony apology carefully drafted by a PR firm.

At least you can get away with it if you’re literally and figuratively at the top of your game.

Imagine if what Leipsic had said was said by Crosby or Ovechkin or McDavid or Matthews? (I'd like to hold onto my hope none of them would ever!🤞) I’m willing to bet that an insincere apology would have been enough. Maybe they would have been fined. But they would never have been let go. (I think the only real offense this kid made in the eyes of the League was to diss his teammates. If Bill Peters had attacked women in his past, he'd probably still be coach of the Flames. But he attacked his players. That seems to be where the League draws the line.)

Most recently, Jessica Mulroney’s racism has come to light. True to celebrity form, she believed that being caught out as a racist would be overlooked as long as she issued a PR-drafted statement using such catch-phrases as: "It was unacceptable and I humbly and fully apologize" (she knows from others’ experiences, she doesn’t have to mean it, just has to say it); "I've decided to step away from my professional engagements at this time to reflect, learn and focus on my family" (ie., she’s going to continue focusing inwardly only on herself and her elitist social circle so she doesn’t have to see the pain she causes in others); and "I know I need to do better" (note: she didn’t say she INTENDS to do better).

It is most important to note, though, that these words only came after she was caught publicly. When she was privately chastised for her racist attempts to destroy the life of a woman of colour, she threatened to sue that woman for TELLING THE TRUTH. Now Mulroney is SHOCKED she lost her job at CTV. She believed the PR claptrap she spewed would give her a free pass. And it may have, but for her gravest miscalculation: she believed she was a bigger celebrity than she was. Her inflated sense of self made her think she was untouchable. This begs the question: which haunts her more about this episode: that the world knows she’s racist? Or that she’s not the A-List celebrity she had assumed she was?

Don’t get me wrong. I’m happy to see that some people aren't getting away with being misogynist or racist by posting a phony buzzword request for forgiveness. And punishing them in the only place they care about - their wallets and their screen time – is a good start. But only when all can expect consequences will we see any real change.

We also have to be honest about our role as a society in these atrocities. These disgusting people were only playing by the rules we as a society had given them. We told them that they can hate women or hate POC, and be vocal about the exact nature of that hate, and nothing will happen to them as long as they say the PR buzzwords. Say the PR buzzwords, and their life will go on as before. They are shocked and dismayed that the world is reneging on our part of the bargain.

Because we are. And about it’s about time we did!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he