Skip to main content

"The" Move

My last night in my Edmonton apartment was an uncomfortable one. I had loaded up close to everything from my apartment into the Uhaul (okay, Kent loaded it for me -- thanks Kent!), and was left with only a sleeping bag, pillow and clock radio. Not one single solitary soft thing.



I ended up scrunching up my bathrobe (which I had, luckily, forgotten behind my bathroom door when I packed) and putting it under the sleeping bag in an ill-fated attempt to make my carpeted floor a bit more comfy.

The next day I spent SIX hours cleaning my apartment. I hadn't intended to spend that much time. I certainly hadn't thought I had six hours worth of cleaning to do. But I did.

When the manager came for the walk through, he opened my oven door, and peeked into the bathroom, said "this looks wonderful" and handed me back my damage deposit. Go figure.

I don't really have many pics of my drive to Toronto. Truth be told (and Cal, my travelling companion can attest), I was in a poor mood for most of it. Too much could go wrong with "the plan". And I feared all of it.

I was about an hour out of Edmonton before I realized I needed to tape the passenger-side side mirror in its place. With each highway bump, the mirror was shimmying further and further from its slot in a sneaky attempt to plummet in protest to the pavement below. Good thing I had packing tape easily accessible in the back. And Cal's son is some kind of duct-tape-tailor.

Cal and I chose to drive from Medicine Hat, Alberta to Kenora, Ontario in one fell swoop. About 13 hours driving. The last maybe one to one and a half hours with me training a flashlight on the dashboard because we couldn't figure out how to have the headlights on at the same time as the dashboard lights. Our choice was to be able to see the shining eyes of deer prancing from the wooded sidelines. And we saw one mom, with two babies. Who completely freaked when Callie honked the horn to get them off the road. One actually fell down in an attempt to rev its gangly legs up to retreat speed. But I'm happy to report the family safely made it off the road, and we continued safely on our way.

A day or so later (it all blurs together), we saw a confident bull moose who didn't seem all that bothered to be the photo subject du jour. The mom and babe were less confident, and took off on a determined trot at the sight of my camera:


And then we were in Toronto, uneventfully (with the slight exception of staying overnight at a tiny town that had no cellphone coverage. I didn't care one whit about this ... Cal still suffers the shakes. Serious electronics infatuation, that gal)

Welcome to my neighbourhood:


And view from my balcony:




If you squint -- or zoom the camera -- you can see what you're looking for:


(wait until dark, and it's real purdy:)


There are a number of fruit/vegetable/flower shops within walking distance. Fresh fruit each day. That I wash in dishwashing soap before eating because who knows who squeezed the kiwi before me. But still, nice.


And I live just north of Greektown. Usually this place is crawling with older Greek men checking out the action:

(Cal and I weren't sure just what this place roasts:)


... and someplace for those Children of the Corn formal events. (It's hard to see with the reflection on the window, but cree-pee!)

And thus brings our "These are the places in my neighbourhood" segment to an end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he