Skip to main content

I now know one more person in Toronto...

... sort of.

I went to a singles event Thursday night to meet new people. Pretty much from the get go I crossed paths with a woman who was just as uncertain what the evening would hold as I was. So we stuck to one another's side, making fun of the other people at the bar. Perhaps not completely conducive to meeting people, but it was pretty clear the bar scene was not either of our scenes. I'll meet new people some other way. People mingling and drink are just ... well, begging to be made fun of.

I never fully caught the woman's name though. It was too loud and her name was too unique. But I gave her my card with my name and number on it so we can reconnect in a quieter environment.

So far, I still do not feel like I live in Toronto. I don't feel different at all. Except for physically. I have already begun pricing out dehumidifiers. My apartment is fine temperature-wise. Apparently Toronto has been experiencing unseasonably cool weather. Only low to mid 20s. Still, the humidity is just too icky for me. I feel ... sticky all the time. I walk two blocks to get groceries, and step right into the shower when I get back. Sitting and watching tv (I have opted to not spring for cable yet, given that summer is all reruns anyway. I have managed to tune in six channels that seem to meet most of my viewing needs. And I've watched more news and read more newspapers than I really ever did in Edmonton. Go ahead. Ask me about ... well, okay Toronto news only has Toronto news on it. Quelle Surprise, non? whoops -- tangent!)

Where was I? Oh, yes, sitting and watching tv is fine. But the exertion of standing up and getting a glass of water brings me on a collision course with the humidity surrounding me. I think if I could dry this place out a bit (and it is REALLY aggravating my allergies!) I'd be a content relocated Edmontonian.

The weather does make for some really interesting vistas, though.


This haze that creates the three-dimensional effect here is not smog. It is the humidity hanging around the city. This afternoon (and much of the last few days) was treated to a real heavy downpour. It only cleared up maybe an hour ago.

And the sun sets at 9 p.m. here. Bit of a bummer -- that means in the winter it will probably set at 3 frickin' pee em. (Well, let's not get ahead of myself. I'll complain about that bridge when I come to it).

The only other initial observation I've made about Toronto so far? People honk their car horns for no reason. They'll be driving along. No one near them. And HONK. I look around, thinking maybe the driver is trying to get the attention of a pedestrian to say hi. Nope. Driver just drives on, looking straight ahead, no doubt keeping an eye on some phantom perpetrator who prompted him to honk in the first place. Seems oddly aggressive to be driving around angry at nothing. Even for Toronto.

(OH! I found a "neighbourhood video rental/convenience store" just a block and a half from my apartment. One to two bucks to rent a movie for the night. I always wanted to live by a video rental/convenience store. It feels so ... urban. And CHEAP!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he