Skip to main content

Socks Key to Surviving Heat Waves

Fortunately, Calgary does not suffer the moist, oppressive heat of a Toronto summer. For the times it aspires to do so, though, I offer you the most important lesson I learned while melting in the sickeningly-sticky, only-in-its-own-mind centre-of-the-Canadian-universe city: the humble sock is the answer you seek.

(That, and the presence of wheels on an air conditioner the size of a small freezer should not categorize that unit as "portable".)

Of particular salvation is this four-step sock system:

(1) Soak socks in cold water so they are wet, but not dripping.

(2) Put socks on feet

(3) Dangle feet off couch or ottoman or bed so air can circulate around them

(4) Feel heat being wicked away through your feet

* Bonus points if you can point a fan at your dangling feet.

(Stuffing your sports bra with sock-wrapped ice packs works well, to — but that wasn't learned until after I had moved to Calgary.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he...