Skip to main content

Wildlife Rescue Facts

Facebook shows me lots of videos of tourists/random people helping wildlife they've come across in trouble. Great. Glad to see it. 

Just a quick note, though: you don't have to let the creature struggle and panic while you film it to show the dire situation it is in. You CAN put down the camera and just help the creature. (No, I'm serious. It is possible. I wouldn't lie about something so important.) You might want to sit down and prepare yourself, but wildlife can be helped without you filming it at all. Contrary to prevailing opinions, posting it publicly in a pitiful attempt to gain pats on your own back does not actually affect the survival rates of the wildlife you helped. (I know! I know! Blew my mind too!) 

In fact:

  • In many cases, the rescue goes much quicker -- and is less traumatic to wildlife -- if you use both hands instead of keeping one hand on the camera and one eye on whether you've framed yourself well
  • If two people find wildlife in trouble, this should be a welcome development -- but not because it means one person can frame the shot while the other person tries to help. It should mean the creature can be helped that much faster because two people are doing it
The more you know (... do do do doooooo ...).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he...