Skip to main content

By all means, think of yourself

Whenever I see motorists who refuse to pull over for a fire truck or an ambulance or a police car -- because they're on the way to someplace themselves and they don't want to be inconvenienced by any delay -- I always think the same thing: if all you care about is yourself, then do that. Think of yourself. Maybe it's your house on fire. Maybe your kid was struck by a delivery truck. Maybe someone just robbed the gas station where your spouse was filling up and now has them hostage. You don't know it's not in your interest to make way for the emergency vehicle. Pretend it is, and you'll have no regrets later if you find out you were right.

Same thing with COVID-19. Sure, maybe for whatever reason you're not at risk. Maybe you work from home anyway and don't interact with many people on a daily basis. Maybe because of that you assume that when you are out in public, precautions aren't meant for you. Only those at risk need wash their hands, or keep this distance, or take care who or what they touch. You're in the clear. And you were in the mood for a hockey game. Stupid closures and cancellations. 

To which I say: by all means, think of yourself. Maybe tomorrow you'll eat some bad sushi or not cook your chicken stirfry as long as you should have, and will spend the next week on the toilet praying for death until you can take it no longer and head to the hospital. Maybe you're right as rain - right up until the moment your car slides on a patch of newly fallen snow and you slam headfirst into a city transit bus. Or may someone you care about will have just a run of the mill heart attack.

You think just because your issue isn't COVID-19, there will be reserve doctors, nurses, and resources to help you? Like out of the 25 possible hospital staff on a shift, five will be twiddling their thumbs until a non-COVID-19 case appears? You think they'll get you right in?

We have a finite supply of resources, people. If we get to a place where triage is a necessity, it ain't just gonna be COVID-19 sufferers we're triaging. So give medical staff and resources a break. Follow the precautions. Don't strain finite resources by creating cases or becoming one yourself.

We actually will never know if the precautions and closures and cancellations were an overreaction. If we manage to slow the progression of the disease and our health facilities never reach their breaking point, we will never know if it was because of the actions we took in the coming days or because the outbreak was never going to overwhelm us in the first place. Personally, I'd rather live with that uncertainty rather than regret that the time to act passed while we waited.

And, before I leave you, I just have to send a special shout out to the Millenials I've personally heard complaining that they are being blamed for endangering people by not staying home from work. Apparently the argument being made is that they don't care who they put at risk because they themselves are not at risk - but they counter that if they could make rent if they stayed home they would, but they can't so there's nothing they can do. Give me a break. Just because you can't stay home from work doesn't mean you can't do anything. Staying home is one option. Double down on the other options available to you to help protect people who can't protect themselves. 

(You're the people who terrified me when I had to go through chemo during the flu season two years ago.)

Kids, the way to shake that whiner reputation is to quit whining. Every generation blames the generation before for ruining everything. And every generation blames the one that came afterwards for being flippant and disrespectful of "the way things were." Every generation. You're the only ones who can't seem to get over it.  Get over it.

And if you can't, create a Go Fund Me page to build a new hospital wing just for yourselves so you can self-soothe your hurt feelings, bruised egos, and inconvenienced lives. Maybe it'll be built next to the wing for COVID-19 sufferers so you'll be able to see firsthand what actual problems are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he