Skip to main content

Apparently the problem is people...

“You need to decide: television or movies.  You can’t try to write both and expect either format’s producers to take you seriously.”
 
“These days you have to be a generalist.  You have to show you can be flexible and have proficiency in a wide range of formats.  No one will take a chance on a new writer who appears to have a tunnel-vision approach to the industry.”
 
“Stick to one genre.  If you write comedy, become known as the go-to comedy writer.  Anyone seeing you’ve written comedy specs and drama specs will think - and rightly so - that not only do you not know what you are doing, you don’t even know what you want to do.”
 
“Have spec scripts in a wide range of genres.  There’s too much money on the line for anyone to take a chance on someone whose abilities may be limited.  If you can’t show them you can do more than one genre, they’ll assume you can’t.”
 
“Send me a half-hour, a one hour, and a feature sample of your writing please.”
 
“Just send me your one hour, please.  Just so you know, don’t bother writing half-hours or features if you’re hoping to get a job with one hour dramas.  You’re never going to get anyone asking for anything but a one hour.”
 
“Welcome to the company.  Unfortunately, we’re in a bit of a time crunch for the next few months, so we can’t train you very much for a while - just do A, B, C and D… and when we have more time, we’ll go through it all with you so you can actually learn your job rather than just put out small fires as they happen.”
 
“As you know, three months of any new job is a probationary period.  We’re sorry, but you don’t seem to be working out.  We need to be able to give you more responsibilities but we don’t think you know what you’re doing with the ones you already have.  We’re going to have to let you go.”

 
Sigh.  People.  Is it any wonder my mantra of late is “I don’t know” ?
 
Okay.  So people are off the table.  People had their chance and people have no business speaking to me. 
 
My mirror is my guide.  My gut.  My sensibilities.  Just because you haven’t done it this way doesn’t mean I can’t.  Indeed, it probably means I should because no one else will see it coming. 

(That, and if anyone hires you because you have no experience so they can train you how they want you to do the job?  Smile politely, rise, shake their hand, thank them for their time but let them know you’ve been there, done that, and it’s never worked out the way they think it will.  Not when they're hiring a waitress.  Not when they're hiring an assistant in a payroll company.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

And they called me mad when I bought the bunker in the woods!

I had heard that one way of thwarting telemarketers was to make them think the number they have dialed is in fact a fax machine.  I've tried different tones on my cordless phone, all to no avail.  Then I had an epiphany: When I turned sixteen, my sister bought me a new-fangled telephone.  It had push buttons, but it was still just a rotary phone - when you pressed each button to dial, you still heard the rotary "tat-a-tat-tat-tat" with every number.  I had held onto this phone ever since.  It's cute.  It works.  There was no reason to get rid of it. I was willing to bet that, in this day and age of advanced technology rendering yesterday's device obsolete on a daily basis, a telemarketer - who is likely going to be decades younger than my phone - would be unable to even identify a rotary phone by sight much less by sound. And voila!  Answering the phone with my rotary phone, and constantly pressing the buttons, the telemarketer kept repeating "Hello?

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he