Skip to main content

It Comes Down To The Coin Toss...

The Olympic Sport for Day Fifteen:

Um ... well ... I'd have to choose ... okay, I'll choose Men's Hockey

The Olympic Athlete for Day Fifteen:

Team Slovakia (ha! didn't expect that, did you?)

Their Moment:

Now bear with me -- there is a difference between losing the game, and not winning the game. And who among us was not on their feet in the last five minutes of that game, wishing the clock to run down quicker or Canada to snap out of it and pull themselves together. It was just a matter of time -- the way Canada was playing by the end and the way Slovakia was playing by the end -- before Slovakia tied the game. That the clock ran out before that time came does not mean Canada won; it means Canada did not lose. I saw it. You saw it. I'm just going that extra distance and writing about it. Maybe it was only for five minutes, but Slovakia was the Olympic Athlete of Day Fifteen.

CLOSE Runner Up for Sport/Athlete/Moment:

Charles Hamelin in Short Track Men's 500m Speed Skating & Team Canada in Short Track Men's 5000m Speed Skating Relay. 500m ended deliciously messy, and 5000m came off as pretty as it gets. Gold and gold. Niiiice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he...