Skip to main content

Test the Nation

Today was probably one of the most interesting days I've had since moving to T.O. I was working Test the Nation at CBC (actually working - paid and everything - whoo!), which meant meeting a whole wide range of people.

My job was to shuttle groups of people up to the studio in the elevator. We tried to shuttle groups as a whole so everyone could stay together, but I ended up having a collection of "Believers" with "Atheists" in my elevator at the same time. A woman ran up just as the doors were about to close, calling out "Is this the Atheists?" I let her on, saying "It's a mix in here. Everyone's agreed to get along for one elevator ride." -- which prompted someone in the back to say "Yeah, but are we going up or down?"

Met Justin Trudeau (quite charming and much more handsome in person) on his way up to the studio, and R2D2 on his (its?) way down after the show. Also finally crossed paths with George Stroumboulopoulos. This is the third show I've worked where he has appeared, but the first show when there was an unobtrusive moment where I could say Hi -- and tell him what a friend had made me promise I would say should I ever meet him ... namely that he simply must make an appearance in Calgary someday. (he made quite a funny joke about being legally required to avoid Cowtown. ha ha)

During the show itself, we volunteers remained in the groups' staging area, where there were tables and chairs (and FOOD!), and actually followed along taking the test as the show aired. Did you watch? A number of participants had been hypnotised before the show to see if being in a more restful state improved test performance or not. The hypnotist was sitting at the table next to mine, and I couldn't help but ask him how does one know if a Stormtrooper is hypnotised?! (The hypnotist advised that the clip you saw on tv -- with two people sitting quietly in full Stormtrooper and full Transformer gear -- was not an actual clip of the hypnosis session) Overall, it was like being in a very rowdy examination hall. And my IQ took a hit of about 8 points -- which I chalk up to the distracting environment and not being able to see the television screen well enough to choose the right answer in the visual question portions. I will protest anyone who suggests otherwise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

Batten down the hatches -- we're in it for the long haul!

Given that the weather reports for Edmonton this weekend are grim grim grim (lows of minus 33, highs of minus 25 -- with wind chills of around minus 35 to 40), I woke up early this morning to get all errands for the weekend out of the way in one fell swoop. I barely needed a coat this morning as I headed out to my car to embark on my mission. With each passing hour, the thermometer dipped a degree or twelve. By time I was done driving around (and paused to catch a movie at the neighbourhood googolplex), it was chill-lay outside. I am now snuggly boarded up in my apartment, with no plans to so much as peek my nose out my window until Tuesday (when the temps shall return to a balmy minus 15). Groceries? Check. Toiletries? Check. Magazines to curl up with? Check. Christmas Presents? Check. Lessee, I got my father what he's been asking for since I was old enough for him to give me his Christmas wish list: And I think my mother will enjoy her bungalow by the stream: For my sister and he...