Skip to main content

High heels take away a woman's power!

On a lark, yesterday I wore high heels to work. These high heels:

I had been talking to a girl who works there about boots she's going to buy, and I mentioned I had bought these heels over a year ago but never wore them. Not even once.

So, thinking about the shoes got me thinking about the shoes. And, as a last minute decision on my way out the door Friday morning, I switched my socks to nylons and pulled out these puppies.

Never again.

Don't even get me started on trying to scrape the ice off my vehicle with these frivoloties on my feet. I nearly slipped under the vehicle a couple of dozen of times (my frantic hand prints remain on the side of KITT from the times I flailed out for some sort of lifeline).

I had to take the heels off to drive, otherwise my foot couldn't flex down far enough to urge my car faster than the idle propelled it.

Then there was the parking lot ice rink I had to traverse in order to reach the two-story metal grate stairs to the front entrance of the office (perfect heel tip sized grates, btw).

Once in the office, if I didn't want to sound like a jackhammer clipping along, I had to shuffle along on the balls of my feet over the tiled floor all day. Finally I decided to just take the heels off and scurry in my stocking feet if I had to go further than the length of my desk.

The final insult was after I came back from lunch and saw the man who operates our enormous testing van. I delicately tick-tick-ticked along the icy parking lot, calling out to ask if I could take a look inside the van. With a seriously concerned look on his face, he watched me take my embarrassingly small trotting steps closer and closer to him. This is a man I have worked with for weeks -- who never once before had ever looked at me like he best just throw me over his shoulder and walk me someplace himself for my own good.

High heels take away a woman's power. They reduce us to feeble baby-stepping charity cases. No more, I say. Perhaps for a dinner date. Tink-tink-tink to the car. Take them off to drive. Tink-tink-tink to the restaurant. Sit, eat, enjoy some conversation. Tink-tink-tink back to the car. Take them off to drive. Tink-tink-tink back to the apartment. But that's about all they're good for.

Comments

Anonymous said…
cool blog friend!

Popular posts from this blog

A Picture Puzzler

A friend sent me another picture from the wrap party. As I looked at it, and recalled the good times, I was struck by something really unusual. See if you can spot it: I'll give you all some time to guess...

Dear Canada Post:

I have a complaint regarding two Canada Post Employees. One of the employees accepted my money when I have been told it is against Canada Post policy to do so, and the other employee escalated my query call into this complaint letter. I wish to be reimbursed for the money the employee erroneously accepted from me, and to inform you of the glitch in your customer service line. The Background: 1) On January 29, 2010, I went to Canada Post at 1032 Pape Avenue, Toronto Ontario. I gave the Canada Post Employee there (I do not have this employee’s name, and will refer to her as Pape Employee) a package I wished sent to Alberta. I told her that my package was a bottle of wine, and asked “Can I send wine – do people send wine in the mail?” Before she responded, I continued to explain that I put it in bubble wrap and a cardboard wine container (a cylindrical tube, a little over a foot high and a couple of inches in circumference, which I wrapped in brown paper and addressed to the recipi...

A Debbie at her Deepest

Think about Facebook for a moment. Are you thinking about it? Okay. Hear me out here. When you look through your newsfeeds, seeing all the things your friends post -- the thoughts they express, the novelties that tickle their funny bones, the issue-windmills against which they are tirelessly compelled to tilt -- you realize how very, truly, inexplicably you yourself are fractured into tiny personalities, each being expressed by the hearts and minds of the friends you chose. Done. Thanks for bearing with me. Now it is dinner time. Carry on in my absence, oh bitty pieces of myself. Oh. What if none of my friends exist and my FB newsfeed is truly a manifestation of the varied corners of my own mind? (The hairs on my forearms just stood up.)